Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Slack … though some small achievement

So, I've been very busy. In 2013, I've done no writing at all, and to be honest, not as much reading as I wanted to. I have also let my posts slip - I've got a few more books to review since my last post, and have just had them sitting in a pile for nearly two months. The books have stared at me and made me feel guilty about my procrastination. So I need to catch up … and my expectations for myself in 2014 won't be as high, so I don't feel so guilty when I don't achieve them.

In 2013, my computer crashed, the hard drive completely died, and I lost a lot of notes and research that I had done for my novel. So my new year's resolution is to use DropBox for most of my work, and to back up on a USD drive. My external hard drive also died - overheated because the fan stopped - so I won't rely on an external drive and automatic backup system anymore either. All this was really disappointing, and I feel like I'm starting from scratch.

I'm also struggling to find time to read, and I have less patience for bad writing. I'll liking the classics more and more, and have recently read a popular book in which the writing was so bad that I was cringing most of the way through and couldn't concentrate on the story (but you can read my next couple of reviews and work out which book that was for yourself.



One thing I did achieve this year, is that I did complete the 2013 Aussie Author Challenge by reading the following novels:
Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
Carpentaria by Alexis Wright
The Harp in the South by Ruth Park
The Odd Angry Shot by William Nagle
The Engagement by Chloe Hooper
On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
The Secret River by Kate Grenville
Remembering Babylon by David Malouf
Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
1788 by Watkin Tench, edited by Tim Flannery
Rose By Any Other Name by Maureen McCarthy
Bush Studies by Barbara Baynton
Chain of Hearts by Maureen McCarthy
Batavia by Peter Fitzsimons
The Daughters of Mars by Thomas Keneally
The Turning by Tim Winton
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
The Great Melbourne Cup Mystery by Arthur Upfield

At least what little I have read this year has been broad ranging, diverse and balanced.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of all those technical hurdles you've experienced.

    Congratulations on completing the Aussie Author Challenge! Some great titles on your list.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pointing out what went wrong with your plan for 2013 is definitely a good way to start your new year. At least now you know what you should avoid and what you need to focus on. Take your computer crashing for example. It was a hard lesson learned, about never relying solely on the automatic back up system but nevertheless, it was a lesson learned. It's a rough start, but with a little perseverance, you will soon find things going your way soon enough.

    --> Ruby @ WilliamsDataManagement.com

    ReplyDelete